Before shipping your vehicle overseas, you must learn the do’s and don’ts of international transport. While the process can be overwhelming, having the basics down can make moving your vehicle from one shore to the next a bit less challenging.
Shipping Your Car Overseas Requires …
Before you send your car off to a U.S Port for transport, you must be sure of the following:
- Vehicles must be operable, free of leaking fluids and thoroughly washed and cleaned to allow for an accurate inspection at the origin port.
- Properly cleaning: Empty all compartments (trunk, glove compartment, center console, door pockets, etc.); Vacuum interior (including seats) and all compartments.
- Wash exterior thoroughly, paying special attention to engine compartment, tires, fender wells and undercarriage of vehicle. Steam cleaning or pressure washing is preferable.
- Inspect entire vehicle to ensure it is free of any dirt, mud, seeds, or other unauthorized material.
We also recommend that you have your vehicle serviced prior to shipping, to ensure mechanical and safety problems are corrected. Check your battery and fuel level, this is especially important if you plan on picking up your vehicle as many ports will want you to be able to drive your vehicle off of the premises.
Prior to Transport …
Prior to transport, you must also do the following:
- Alarm system should be disengaged prior to shipment. Most ports aren’t liable for mechanical or electronic failures as a result of non-compliance.
- All personal items must be removed from the vehicle prior to shipping. Items that are permanently installed, mounted to the vehicle, or are an integral part of the vehicle is acceptable. (Examples: spare tire and jack, infant car seat, spoilers, factory install roof racks). Items that are removable and not mounted or bolted to the vehicle cannot be shipped with the vehicle.
- Motorcycles must be secured to the ship or a skid. Many ports may offer a skid for you to use. Contact that port directly. Crated motorcycles may be prohibited at many ports. You should check this out with your port of choice as well.
- There’s always the option of shipping your vehicle to the port. In this case, you will want to use a dependable vehicle transportation company, call us at Auto Transport 123 to get you on schedule.
Requirements for Delivery of Your Vehicle
So you’ve met the requirements for shipment of your vehicle. Now you must pick up your POV. What you will need is:
- A copy of your Vehicle Registration
- A photo I.D. / Driver’s License
- A copy of the Booking Confirmation Form or Booking Number.
- All keys to the vehicle (ignition, trunk, glove compartment, gas tank and any locked compartments in your vehicle.)
- Inspections are done on site.
- If you are not the person who will be picking the vehicle up, you will need a notarized letter giving the person who is picking up your vehicle authority to do so.
Now that you know the basics, we hope you feel better prepared and less stressed for your overseas transport! If you still have questions or concerns about overseas transport, feel free to call us at Auto Transport 123 and speak with one of our experienced project managers. They will be able to guide you through the transport process, and provide you with helpful tips on how to make your experience a pleasant one. Call us today for a free quote and to get your vehicle on schedule to its journey overseas!